The deadline is September 30, so I hope you’ve completed your online training by now. If not, I encourage you to join us at the Westin Southfield Detroit on Wednesday, October 14 from 6-9 p.m. for a free dinner/CME presentation.
Make no mistake: ICD-10 will have a serious impact on our professional lives.
- It doesn’t change the way physicians practice medicine, only how they document it.
- It requires physicians to document their thought process as well as their diagnoses and orders.
- It leads to more specific documentation,
- which leads to accurate reflection of the illness;
- which supports the medical necessity of care and
- Results in optimal reimbursement.
Michigan Medicaid also converts from MS-DRG to APR-DRG on October 1.
There were 14,000 ICD-9 codes; in ICD-10, there are more than 68,000.
There were 4,000 procedure codes in ICD-9; there are 72,000 in ICD-10.
Likewise for comorbid conditions.
Some important things to remember:
- Coders must have your specific diagnosis to code accurately.
- Physicians can use terms like “probable,” “likely,” and “suspected” as long as it is being treated and/or otherwise affects the hospitalization.
- Uncertain diagnoses must be documented at the time of discharge in order to be coded.
- Use nouns. Don’t say “septic,” use “sepsis.”
- Questionable documentation will result in queries that will delay reimbursement.
- Queries are considered incomplete medical records and can result in suspension of privileges.
One More Reason to Learn the ICD-10 Process Quickly
The government has been comparing quality of care to cost among physicians for a while.
- If you practice in a group of more than 100 physicians, they started tracking your charts in 2013 (ending in 2015).
- If you practice in a group of 10-99 physicians, they started tracking your charts in 2014 (ending in 2016).
- If you have a solo practice, or work with one other partner or up to nine total doctors, they will begin tracking you in 2015 (ending in 2017).
The ICD-10 coding will help the government provide differential payment to providers based on “quality of care” compared to “cost” during the performance periods listed above.
- Get the Free App: Go to the Intraweb , go directly to “Downloads.”
- 3M produces pocket saver tip cards by specialty.
- Discounts are available for courses to train office staff and other affiliated providers.
- Receive the Tenet ICD-10 Virtual Code Book. YOu can get one code to use one time. It’s available in HealthStream and HealthStream Express (HEX). Go to: www.precyse.com/precyseuniversity/mobilesolutions_icd10virtualcodebook-phys
Download for free on iPhone or iPad; Android or Kindle Fire will provide a code to download for free.
Any questions, email Gloria Hansen at email@example.com.
- FREE dinner / CME Presentation at the Westin Southfield Detroit
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
Registration: 5:30 p.m.
Dinner/ CME: 6 – 9 p.m.
1500 Town Center, Southfield, MI 48075
RSVP Required: go online to http://www.dmc.org/ICD10_CME and register today.